corpus-paul - Finding W. Muro's book, was - Re: Philippians, Munro, and Loisy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeffrey Krantz <jkrantz AT optonline.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Finding W. Muro's book, was - Re: Philippians, Munro, and Loisy
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:42:25 -0400

Having just returned from some vacation, and wading through about 260 emails,
I was
glad to see a reference to Winsome Munro's book here. I've been looking for
a copy of
it for my personal library for some time. Does anyone have an idea about
where I
might find one?

Thanks,

Jeff K.

Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

> Esteemed Corpus-Paul list members,
>
> I have been following discussions on this list on and off for some time,
> but recently I noticed that a subject I'm quite interested in had been
> brought up for discussion. So here's my contribution to the discussion of
> the Philippians.
>
> Also I've seen a query recently about the late Winsome Munro and her
> excellent book,
>
> Munro, Winsome. _Authority in Paul and Peter_: The Identification of a
> Pastoral Stratum in the Pauline Corpus and in 1 Peter. Society for
> New Testament Studies Monograph Series. Edited by R. McL. Wilson and
> Margaret E. Thrall. Vol. 45. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
> 1983.
>
> In her book, Munro clarifies methodological issues for identifying
> interpolations in the Pauline letters, of which there are great many
> according to her. She also analyses the socio-historical context in which
> these interpolations would have been made.
>
> In her work, Munro follows up on the research of the great French biblical
> scholar Alfred Loisy. She's one of the very few modern scholars who are
> aware of his extensive work on the Pauline corpus. Here is his most
> extensive work on the subject,
>
> LOISY, ALFRED, Remarques sur la litte'rature e'pistolaire du
> Nouveau Testament. Paris 1935.
>
> A short treatment in English can be found here,
>
> LOISY, ALFRED The origins of the New Testament. Translated by
> L.P. Jacks. London 1950.
>
> And here's some more useful bibliography,
>
> Winsome Munro, "Interpolation in the Epistles: Weighing Probability,"
> NTS 36 (1990), 431-443:443.
>
> William O. Walker, Jr., "The Burden of Proof in Identifying
> Interpolations in the Pauline Letters," NTS 33 (1987), 610-618:615.
>
> And here's a very good article available online about this subject,
>
> Darrell Doughty: _Pauline Paradigms and Pauline Authenticity_, in the THE
> JOURNAL OF HIGHER CRITICISM, (Fall 1994), 95-128.
>
> http://www.depts.drew.edu/jhc/doughty.html
>
> About Winsome Munro, her life and work (includes bibliography),
>
> http://www.unisa.ac.za/dept/press/rt/32/engel.html
>
> And now, about the Philippians specifically. This message is based on the
> one posted previously to Crosstalk-l (the old Crosstalk). I have revised
> it a little.

> Subject: Philippians reconstructed
> From: y.kuchinsky
>
> According to Alfred Loisy, Phil consists of two short authentic letters of
> Paul, plus a lot of later gnostic and other stuff added to them. But the
> letters were transposed, and the earlier one was placed later in Phil. I
> call them letters A and B in the following.
>
> (Also some recent scholarship proposes that three letters are included in
> Phil, which sort of amounts to the same thing, except that the third
> letter is thought to begin at 3:2, where there seems to be a break, and an
> abrupt change of tone, and to continue up to 3:21 [or perhaps including
> [...]

Jeffrey H. Krantz
Church of the Advent, Westbury, NY
Mercer School of Theology, Garden City, NY
Homepage http://www.agapenetwork.org