corpus-paul - Re: Quotations in the Apostolic Fathers

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Daniel L Christiansen <dlc AT multnomah.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Quotations in the Apostolic Fathers
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:09:40 -0700

"David C. Hindley" wrote: [snipped]

> Similarly, J B Lightfoots' _Apostolic Fathers_ is available in three
> editions:
>
> 1) Apostolic Fathers
> J. B. Lightfoot
> Retail Price: $19.99
> Our Price: $15.99 You Save: $4.00 (20%)
> In-Stock: Ships within 24 hours
> Format: Paperback, 2nd ed., 368pp.
> ISBN: 0801021995
> Publisher: Baker Books
> Pub. Date: July 1998
>
> 2) Apostolic Fathers
> J.B. B. Lightfoot (sic)
> Retail Price: $99.95
> Our Price: $69.96 You Save: $29.99 (30%)
> Ships 3-5 weeks
> Format: Hardcover, 3024pp.
> ISBN: 0943575273
> Publisher: Hendrickson Publishers, Incorporated
> Pub. Date: June 1995
> Edition Desc: 2ND
>
> 3) Apostolic Fathers - Patres Apostolici
> Joseph B. Lightfoot (Translator)
> Our Price: $518.70
> Special Order: Ships 3-5 weeks
> Format: Hardcover, 2940pp.
> ISBN: 3487046873
> Publisher: Lubrecht & Cramer, Ltd.
> Pub. Date: January 1973
>

> It appears that #2 does not include the Greek text, but is updated with new
> introductions, etc., so that it actually exceeds the length of the
> original. I
> cannot tell if the introductions or commentary will include the tables
> comparing, in Greek, each apparent quote found in the Fathers with the NT
> text, as I have to admit I have not so much as looked at a copy of this for
> years and cannot say I recall too much about its format, or which edition I
> saw. Hopefully someone familiar with this can set me straight. The side by
> side Greek comparisons are what I want to see. If it is available in
> translation #2 above Ill be ordering it pronto.

To which Daniel replies:

#2--the Hendrickson edition does indeed include the full Greek text.
This is a
five-volume set with the text, translation, critical notes, critical
introductions,
and some historical introduction to the authors. The greek text is set in
fairly
large type (16 point?) at the top of the page in a single column, with
critical notes
in smaller type running beneath the text in a double column. The
translations are
placed at the end of each volume, rather than on opposing pages with the
text. Of
course, the separation of the text from the translation makes it more
difficult to
read through some of the more unfamiliar or difficult passages, but it is
perfect for
having students work through the text without "cheating by peeking." :)

The Greek type face is very good, and the English type in the
introductions are
very clear. However, the English type used in the critical notes is
sometimes a bit
light, though still very readable. The one real drawback is the typeface
used to
indicate quotations in the Greek text. It looks to me like a precursor of
the font
used in UBS 4 . . .

The allusions/citations/quotations to both NT and OT are indexed at the
end of
volume 2 and 5. The index is divided by patristic letter first, and then by
their
biblical order. Those passages "in which the resemblance is close" and
therefore are
treated as quotations, are marked by an asterisk.

The Baker edition is a 1-volume English-translation-only. I can't
imagine what
the $500+ Lubrecht & Cramer edition is, since the page count is basically the
same as
the Hendrickson. All in all, the Hendrickson's is a great set to have, if
you are
going to be doing work on the apostolics. I bought my set about 5 years back
for
$50, so $70 doesn't seem unreasonable for the current time.

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible