corpus-paul - Jews and Israelites

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jews and Israelites
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:34:34 -0700

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:34:04 -0500 Carlton Winbery
<winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net> writes:
>>Carlton Winbery wrote:
>>...The problem is that Paul never says in Rom. 11 that "I'm a Jew".
What
>>he actually says is that "I'm myself an Israelite". This is an
interesting
>>distinction that should not be overlooked or glossed over. As far as I
>>recall Paul never calls himself a Jew. Why? Because the designation
>>appears to have had bad associations for him. In this he is in good
>>company with the author of GJohn. Paul preferred to call himself an
>>Israelite or a Hebrew (just like "John" - if GJohn 1:47 is any good
>>indication).
>
>He identified himself very closely with his "brothers and kinsmen." I
>see
>no reason to think he made a distinction between Jews and Israelites.
>I fear that is more a modern way of dealing with history.

I don't share your fears. Recall that Galilee was administratively
separate from Judea; the term "Jew" literally refers to someone from
Judea, does it not? Whereas it is my understanding that the term
"Israelite" was used at time to refer to Galileans, as in John 1:45-47.
Doesn't Josephus also make the distinction?

Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ

  • Jews and Israelites, Robert M Schacht, 06/13/1999