corpus-paul - RE: Interpolation Solutions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Interpolation Solutions
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 08:00:11 -0700

>>Nevertheless, I think the circumstantial weight of evidence for some
interpolations, if presented skillfully and honestly, might be persuasive.<<

Has anyone considered that some epistles might be disjointed or seem to have
interpolations because as noted in the opening address of the letter, there
is more than one author? E.g. is Galatians the work of one individual only?
It is addressed from Paul and 'all the brothers who are with me'. Was he
perhaps the leader but with many colleagues - any one of whom could have a
revelation (about the two children, two covenants for instance) which would
result in what might from our distance be seen as an interpolation. This
letter at least does not bear the marks of a composition written in a quiet
moment.

One could imagine there was such a discussion, with ideas coming from
several speakers (but not disorderly of course - except maybe for the
expressions of dismay after 5:12). "Tertius, don't you dare take that out!"

I pity the scribe.

BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
Catch the foxes for us,