corpus-paul - Re: The center of Paul's thought and "righteousness by faith"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus Paulinum" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The center of Paul's thought and "righteousness by faith"
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:07:18 -0700

Moon, I mislabeled my subject-line on prior reply and should have referenced
the Gal. 2.16 thread. Re-reading your post, I see what you were getting at,
and it differs from that discussion (Sorry).

Regarding your suggestion that Paul was throwing back at Judaizers their own
"made righteous" vocabulary, this has a familiar ring. I believe Wise and
Eisenmann discussed this very point in *The Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered*,
although I do not have a copy of their book at hand now, to give the
reference. As I recall, W&E found much similarity in religious terminology
between certain DSS and in Paul's letters, this "righteoused" being one of
the common themes. Perhaps someone else on the list has that book and can
either elaborate on or correct my faulty recollection.

You also wrote:

About the law in Paul, by the way, I once had a view similar to yours, and
it is certainly one way to read Paul if we had only Paul's letters. But
studies such as Sanders' shed some light to the situation of Paul's time,
so that we may have a better chance to understand Paul's language.

Thanks for steering me to Sanders. Incidentally, in the past, on another
e-list, certain ecumenists have recommended books (i.e., Gager's and
Gaston's) on the new Pauline perspective, after hearing my conservative
exegesis. Alas, I am still unreconstructed. I will get Sanders' PPJ and see
if he unlike others can do the trick for me.

Regards,

Jon