corpus-paul - Methodology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Luckensmeyer" <DHLUCKENSMEYER AT Bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Methodology
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:12:23 +1000

Dear All,

I have recently joined C-P and immensely enjoy reading up-to-date scholarly opinions on various topics. I am in my first year of a PhD, working on the text of 1 Thessalonians 4:13--5:11. At the moment I am grappling with issues of methodology, from the historical-critical perspective.

I have found that the prevailing material seems to focus on the "how" of various interpretive methods, rather than the merits of each. I know enough about the nuts-and-bolts, and want to get on to the real business of criticising/defending different methodologies--especially historical criticism. Does anyone know of new discussions which have this sort of thrust?

Thanks in advance.

David Luckensmeyer
PhD Candidate
Studies in Religion
University of Queensland
Australia

  • Methodology, David Luckensmeyer, 05/17/1999