corpus-paul - Act's Distance From A Historical Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Act's Distance From A Historical Paul
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:57:25

Richard fellows wrote (under the thread "Paul's Citizenship"):

>>Are we to speculate that Acts was written at a time so distant from the
historical Paul that Luke could invent his Roman citizenship without fear
of contradiction? This is possible, of course, but I would wonder how the
collective memory could have forgotten such a basic fact about Paul, while
remembering many inconsequential details. For example, Paul's itinerary
round the Aegean, which I mentioned in an earlier post, is something of no
interest to anyone but the driest historians ;-) , but it was remembered.
Luke also knew about all of Paul's major companions, without exception.<<

Speculation can sometimes be good.

Collective memory would be a problem only if Paul's history closely
approxomates what we find related in Acts. What if he were involved with
the kinds of Gentile circles which later became the core constituants of
Christianity (say, after the war of 66-70)? By the end of the 1st century,
Paul could have been a warm and fuzzy memory of those who were converted
from his circle to later 1st century Gentile oriented Christianity.

The author of Acts could then easily imagine that Paul held citizenship,
even if he did not, or represent that Paul did so for the sake of dramatic
effect. It would also be tempting for him to "update" those memories
(legends might be a better term) to anachronistically make Paul an advocate
of the form of Christianity then current in the circles for which Acts was
written.

Where could his source materials come from? I would suggest that after the
war one or more caches of materials related to Paul, or someone he knew,
surfaced. The epistles indicate that such caches did indeed once exist
(e.g., the trunk that Paul left at Troas). These then came into the
posession of the author of Acts.

These may have been letters or other correspondence to or from Paul. If the
person who stored the material had been a travelling companion, the
material may have consisted of a diary. Alternatively, the author of Acts
could have made use of an unrelated person's travel diary, much like what
Philostratus represented as the travel diary of Apollonius' travelling
companion Damis.

Such a diary and/or correspondence, coupled with those vague traditions
from pre-war days, could easily account for all the sources the Author of
Acts would need.

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, OH
Dhindley AT compuserve.com

  • Act's Distance From A Historical Paul, David C. Hindley, 05/11/1999