corpus-paul - (De)Constructing Paul's Bio Sketch

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • Subject: (De)Constructing Paul's Bio Sketch
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:48:47 -0400 (EDT)

On the thread of Paul's alleged Roman citizenship, I have long suspected
that the following details in the ancient biographical sketch(es) of Paul
may have been generated through misunderstanding, or animosity, at a very
early stage in the process (I see the author of Acts as fairly credulous
about the materials he receives from various sources):

Roman citizenship (an accusation made by "cultic Jewish Christian"
opponents -- in some later sources, Paul is depicted as a non-Jew!)
"Saul" (opponent's rhyme-nickname for this villianous Benjaminite "Paul")
"of Tarsus" (misunderstanding of "Tarsei" guild association with weavers
in the Judean area)
physical description in Acts of Paul (compare DSS horoscopes, and
description of Antichrist in Apocalypse of Elijah)

-- and perhaps others. Whether he had been married or not (I suspect yes)
does not fit so neatly into these categories without more forcing than I'm
feeling up to today.

Bob
kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu

  • (De)Constructing Paul's Bio Sketch, Robert Kraft, 05/11/1999