corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 18:23:01 -0300

Jeff Peterson wrote:

> Just curious: is it Wrede's book that should be credited with establishing
> pseudonymous authorship of 2 Thess as scholarly orthodoxy? I've operated on
> this
> assumption but would appreciate having it dis/confirmed by someone who's
> worked
> through the literature as thoroughly as Frank.

I'll see what I can do later tonight. A very long history of scholarship on
the
problem of the relationship between 1 and 2 Thess. and especially the
authenticity of
2 Thess. was in my dissertation (pp. 3-71!); and I took this out and wrote a
new first
chapter from Göttingen before I submitted it to Sheffield. Someday when the
new
commentaries on Thessalonians by Karl Donfried, Helmut Koester, and Abraham
Malherbe
have been published, I'll publish a revised form of it as a long article.

Till later,
Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados

  • Pseudonymity, Patrick Nugent, 05/01/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Pseudonymity, Jeff Peterson, 05/03/1999
    • Re: Pseudonymity, Frank W. Hughes, 05/03/1999