corpus-paul - Paul's attitude to women (was: Paul as Good and Nice Guy)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's attitude to women (was: Paul as Good and Nice Guy)
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 22:33:44 +0100

> From: Maggie Hoop <maggie.l.hoop AT vanderbilt.edu>
>
> I think that the main argument that women and Jews have against Paul is
the
> way that Paul has been used against them, not necessarily who Paul was or

> what he did/said. When something is used as a tool of opression, one
> either seeks to rehabilitate it or dismiss it. As a woman and a Jew, I
> tend to vacilate between the two options. It is not a matter of how Paul

> treats other people, it is a matter of how people (using Paul) treat
other
> people.

The admonition ascribed to Paul that women should keep silent in church is
one of the things most people remember about Paul. And yet we have Phoebe
of Cenchreae, Prisca, Aquila, Crispus and Sosthenes... Paul was not without
his femail followers, and they appear to play an important part in his
early Churches. Maybe you have evidence that may question the authenticity
of 1 Cor 14:34. If so I would like to hear it.

On this subject, can you (or others) recommend Meeks "The First Urban
Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul"? Murphy-O'Connor refers
to it (pp 70,73) in this context, but I do not have a copy.
Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)

  • Paul's attitude to women (was: Paul as Good and Nice Guy), Chris Cutler, 05/03/1999