corpus-paul - Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline authorship of the Pastorals - additional comments
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 05:10:14 +0100

>But, instead of supposing an unrecorded period of freedom following the
>imprisonment recorded in Acts, it could also be assumed that Acts is
>actually an arbitrary reconstruction that may, or may not, be closely
>related to the events related in the epistles.

But Acts clearly does not give an arbitrary reconstruction. From 1 & 2 Cor
and Rom we can deduce that Paul travelled from Ephesus to Macedonia to
Achaia, and from there planned to go to Jerusalem with the gift. This is
exactly the same information that Acts supplies. Moreover, the winter of 1
Cor 16:6 fits well with that of Acts 20:3; and the movements of Timothy in
1 Cor 4:17; 16:10; 2 Cor 1:1, 7:6 fit well with Acts 19:22.

It would not make sense to dismiss the evidence of Acts just to find a
place for verses like 1 Tim 1:3.

Richard Fellows
Vancouver
rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca