corpus-paul - Re: Date of Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Date of Galatians
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 05:10:23 +0100

Paul Miller wrote:
>I am interested in getting some feedback from the list on the dating of
>Galatians. Is the North Galatian theory still held by some or is the South
>Galatian hypothesis accepted by all? On the relationship of the Jerusalem
>visits in Galatians and Acts is Lightfoot's G2=A3 argument or Bruce's G2=A2
>position considered the most cogent by list members?
>
>G2=Gal. 2:1-10
>A2=Acts 11:30 12:25
>A3=Acts 15:2-29

From Gal 2 we know that Titus-Timothy was a convert at the time of Paul's
Jerusalem visit, and that he was not yet circumcised. Now, it's difficult
to put the conversion of Timothy before the "first missionary journey", and
he was circumcised at the start of the second. We can therefore deduce
that Paul must have visited Jerusalem between his first and second
missionary journeys. Well, lo and behold! Paul does just that at Acts 15!

On the north/south debate, it is worth pointing out that Titus-Timothy was
probably a native of south Galatia. In Galatians Paul discusses the case
of Titus-Timothy and uses his more intimate name ('Titus'), and this is in
keeping with the theory that the letter was written to his home region.
This consideration tips the scales a little towards the south.

Richard Fellows
Vancouver
rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca