corpus-paul - Re: homes and guests

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Christopher Hutson <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: homes and guests
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:54:25 EDT

>From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
>
>Private homes appear to have played a significant role in Paul's
mission,
>both as a socially acceptable context for his public proclamation and
as a
>meeting place for the post-mission EKKLHSIA. Can anyone can shed
light on
>how 'outsiders' might have come into this setting (1 Cor 14:23)? What
were
>the social 'rules' of the ancient household vis-a-vis guests? Are we
>imagine a sign on the front gate inviting all to enter - "Paul of
Tarsus
>teaching here today" - as in the case of some philosophers in the
period, or
>would it have been by invitation only?

I like Rick Strelan's suggestion about examining the social
implications of words like KLHTOI and AKLHTOI.

Along a similar line, I would suggest that you consider the
patron-client relationships in early imperial Roman society. It was
customary for clients to call on their patrons in the mornings. If a
patron happened to be a Christian who hosted a house church, and if
that church customarily assembled early in the mornings before
laborers, artisans and slaves had to be at work, then how likely would
it have been for non-Christian clients to arrive at the door while the
Christians were still meeting inside the house?

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson
Hood Theological Seminary
Salisbury, NC 28144