corpus-paul - Re: homes and guests

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Lee Foster" <adelphos AT iglou.com>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: homes and guests
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:15:30 -0400

>Subject: Re:       Re: homes and guestsFrom: "John M. Contabile II" ><jcontabile AT earthlink.net>
>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:9:35
>Do you know where else we might turn to find information on the social
>customs of being invited into one's home in the first century?
How about looking at _As the Romans Did_ by Jo-Ann Shelton?  This is an excellent reference for this kind material.

Another narrative to check out would be the _Satyricon_ by Petronius especially the section known as "Trimalcio's Dinner".  Although I hope that Paul's meetings were different from Trimalcio's, it does shed some light on how guest were received.

Robert Lee Foster
Graduate Student
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Louisville, Kentucky, USA