corpus-paul - Re: Pushing my luck: (was re: Zoe and Bios - now PNEUMA and PSYCHE)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pushing my luck: (was re: Zoe and Bios - now PNEUMA and PSYCHE)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:09:55 -0400

At 10:25 PM 4/22/99 +0100, you wrote:

>This set me thinking about PNEUMA and PSYCHE. Would friends care to comment
>on the above. I am particularly interested in opinions as to why Paul felt
>PSYCHE would not do. Did he coin the use of Breath as the eschatalogical
>equivalent, or was he drawing on an earlier tradition?

Chris,

I dont mean to sound put off-ish or like I am avoiding your question- it is
a very good one. Its just been a long day and I dont have time just now
to give you the answer that you deserve. So I will defer my comments for
now and instead ask you to take a look at Rudolf Bultmann's "Theology of the
New Testament" section 18 where Bultmann discusses this very issue in Paul.
It is, honestly, the best description and explanation that I have seen.

If you cant get hold of it- or someone answers more fully before tomorrow, I
will happily summarize it for you. (I'm just to whipped to do it now- sorry).

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest