corpus-paul - Re: koinwnia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: koinwnia
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:49:15 +1000

Some thoughts on KOINWNIA for Debbie.
KOINWNIA is an important Pauline term, occurring some twenty times in the
undisputed epistles and four times in 1 Timothy. When it is used with an
object in the genitive or dative the meaning appears to be ‘sharing in/with’
(1 Cor 1:9; 1 Cor 10:16; 2 Cor 6:14; 2 Cor 13:13; Phil 3:10; Phle 1:6). When
used with the preposition EIS and the object in the accusative, as in Phil
1:5, the meaning is better rendered ‘partnership for the sake of’ (the
gospel) or even ‘contribution toward’. This usage appears to have decidedly
‘missionary’ overtones. In fact, I am of the opinion that Paul's use of the
term in this way (particularly in Phil 1:5) is a significant window into his
conception of congregational involvement in the apostolic mission (but
that's another story). So in 2 Corinthians 9:13 Paul speaks of the
Corinthians’ prospective generous participation in the Jerusalem collection
as, APLOTHTI THS KOINWNIAS EIS AUTOUS KAI EIS PANTAS. Again, in Romans 15:26
Paul advises his hearers that Macedonia and Achaia were pleased KOINWNIAN
TINA POIHSASQAI EIS TOUS PTWCOUS. In both instances, the word clearly
connotes a ‘contribution to/for’. G. Peterman, however, has correctly
objected to giving KOINWNIA too concrete a meaning even when used with eij"
and the object in the accusative. He insists that in 2 Cor 9:13 and Rom
15:26 KOINWNIA should still retain its abstract meaning of ‘partnership’
rather than ‘gift’ or ‘contribution’.
Also, some bibliographic suggestions:
Luter, A. B. 1996. Partnership in the Gospel: the role of women in the
church at Philippi. Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 39 (3):
411-420.
O'Brien, P. T. 1978. The Fellowship Theme in Philippians. The Reformed
Theological Review 37 (1):9-18.
Panikulam, G. 1979. Koinonia in the New Testament: A Dynamic Expression of
Christian Life. Vol. 85, AnBib. Rome: Biblical Institute Press.
Peterman, G. W. 1994. Romans 15.26: Make a contribution or establish
fellowship. New Testament Studies 40:457-463.
Sampley, J. P. 1980. Pauline Partnership in Christ. Philadelphia: Fortress.