corpus-paul - Re: koinwnia

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John M. Contabile II" <jcontabile AT earthlink.net>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: koinwnia
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:58:27

Debbie,

I would recommend to you a book entitled "Paul's Idea of Community" by
Robert Banks. Here is a snippet from a portion of the book where he
describes the relationship between family and fellowship:

Banks states that Paul's use of the word koininia had more to do with
"participation in some common object or activity, e.g., participation in
the Spirit, in someone's faith, in Christ and his sufferings, in the work
of the gospel, in a financial contribution - not in the sharing of people
concerned directly with one another...in his use of koinonia, Paul's
emphasis is upon their participation 'alongside' one another in such
things, not 'in' one another as the term 'fellowship' suggests. Paul does
talk about fellowship with one another in this more personal and intensive
sense, but uses words other than koinonia to express it" (57)

He elaborates on those words in later chapters. I think that this book
would be helpful to you as you study this topic.

So there you have it, a third possibility - fellowship "alongside one
another!"

John Contabile
Fellow Student
jcontabile AT earthlink.net