corpus-paul - Re: Eisenman on James

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: FucciXXV AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Eisenman on James
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:27:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/99 12:40:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
jwest AT highland.net writes:

> Eisenman's views are idiosyncratic (to put it kindly) and he has been
> virtually completely refuted by those who work on the DSS for a living.
His
> notions of James and Jesus are so absolutely unsupportable that there is no
> one, and I mean no one, who agrees with him.

Even so, I respectfully disagree with Jeffrey Gibson's earlier assertion that
"James, let alone Eisenman on James" is off-topic. A major point of
Eisenman's book is that the Pauline Corpus is to be read as a sort of "music
minus one" in which the missing voice is James and the DSS, so it seems
perfectly on-topic. It's another question entirely whether his theory is
on-topic but unsound -- which seems to be the consensus.

In any event, I would have assumed James, John, Cephas, and Peter (or
Cephas/Peter, if it's the same person, which I think is by far the majority
view but which has always raised a nagging doubt for me personally) would all
be on-topic, since any reconstruction of Paul's Christianity must take into
account his relationship with the Pillars in Jerusalem and any doctrinal
differences with them.

Jim Thorn
Chicago, IL