corpus-paul - C-P: Arabia?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: C-P: Arabia?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:11:59 -0400

Paul says that Mt. Sinai is in Arabia (Gal 4:25). What was the concept of
Arabia at that time? Did he have the same understanding of the location of
the Sinai as we do now? I ask this because of a curious experience we had
while in Damascus this fall. We were taken to an ancient synagogue and told
that this was the place where Elijah slept, and where he prayed for death.
I would have sworn that location was in the Sinai -- not Damascus! What was
considered the location of Mt Sinai/Horeb in the time of Paul?

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
New York University