corpus-paul - server crazies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: server crazies
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:45:11 -0500

List members might have noticed not only that over the past few days messages
posted to C-P have appeared in your inboxes in spurts, but that attempts to
access the archives have been met repeatedly with a "This Lyris Server is
currently unavailable" message. All of this is due to the fat that there was a
bug at our host site, affecting distribution of messages and digests, and
technicians at Metalabs needed to shut the system down periodically to try to
fix the problem and test whether the repairs they were making were taking
hold.
I think that all is now well.

One downside (excuse the pun), however, to the burps in the operation of the
server is that we may have lost potential subscribers and contributors who,
out
of frustration at not getting into the subscription page, have given up on us.

In the light of this, let me urge you to check with colleagues whom you
suspect
might have been among the frustrated to try again.

Curiously (and, may I add, delightfully), despite our server crazies, C-P
seems
by any standards against which e-lists are measured to have had an
exceptionally
strong start. Membership is good (205 by last count) and traffic is heavy.

I extend my gratitude to all who have been helping to make the List the
success
that it seems to be.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • server crazies, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 04/09/1999