corpus-paul - Re: Sequence of 1 Thess. to "early-Paul"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ray Pickett <rpickett AT unidial.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sequence of 1 Thess. to "early-Paul"
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:54:26 +0000

Mark D. Nanos wrote:

> The implication to draw here is that without certainty about the date of
> the letters (and consistently accepting the present state of scholarly
> skepticism, if accepted, regarding the details of Acts), how can one know,
> given the different places, people, and situations addressed--however
> independent of Paul's involvement may be the case at the time--that we are
> witnessing "development" in any way, straight-line or otherwise?

Mark raises some good questions about the circularity of scholarly
arguments regarding chronology and development. What I recall to be the
crux of the argument for placing 1 Thess. early is the presumed
evolution of his eschatology from a fervent conviction that the parousia
is imminent in that letter to a realization that it may lie more in the
distant horizon in other letters. If that is an accurate representation
of the argument, then Paul's admonitions concerning marriage in the
latter 1 Cor., which also seem to assume an imminent end (cf.
7:20,24,26,31), throw this reasoning into question. In short, I take
Mark's point that different people and/or circumstances better account
for difference in language and perspective than developmental theories.

I don't have any grand theory to offer regarding the situation which
evoked Paul's graphic depiction of the parousia in 1 Thess. It does
appear that Paul was responding to queries about what people in the
community who had died and thus needs to provide some explanation about
the resurrection. What I don't understand is why he talks about parousia
in 1 Thess and resurrection body in 1 Cor (which, again, also has a tone
of imminence), except for the fact that the thrust of his entire
argument in 1 Cor is emphasizing the importance of what one does in the
body (situation). I must confess that I am intriqued but not completely
convinced by the arguments of Georgi and Koester that Paul's discussion
of the parousia has an imperial context and may reference the ceremonies
of the ruler cult. Surely Paul's citation of "peace and security" in 5:3
is an allusion to the Roman Pax. It's not clear to me how Paul is
actually envisioning the parousia. I would be grateful for illumination
on this.

But I have digressed from the point I did want to make, namely that if
one suspends the developmental theories and brackets out the issue of
escatology (and grants that how Paul deals with it is profoundly shaped
by situation), it is amazing how much Galatians and 1 Thess. have in
common. Both letters are addressed to Gentile congregations who have
turned to God from idols (1 Thess. 1:9; Gal. 4:8-10). Both refer to
situations of persecution or suffering (1 Thess. 1:6; 3:3-4; Gal. 3:4 -
Paul uses pasxw - in both contexts I assume he is referring to the price
paid for being a Christian in a pagan context). Both letters use pistis
language (though Thess. doesn't use dik language). Both give a great
deal of emphasis to the Spirit (1 Thess. 1:5; 4:8; 5:19; Gal. 3:5; 4:6;
5:5, 16ff.). Both use familial language, emphasize the importance of
love for one another, and provide vice/virtue lists which underline the
control of the passions as a primary issue. This is just a cursory
comparison that could be further elaborated upon I think. Although these
letters have very different "feels', it strikes me that the ethos they
each describe are very similar (both offer glimpses of Pauline
Christianity in a pagan context), and the sense of what Christian praxis
might be is not all that different. These common elements often get
obscured by devolopmental thoeries.

Enough for one post. I too would be interested in hearing what Mark is
doing with Galatians.

Ray Pickett