corpus-paul - Re: Paul's "conversion?"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul's "conversion?"
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:32:19

On 04/04/99, "Chris Cutler", <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>", wrote in response
to Stevan Davies' comment that Paul's drastic change in behavior might
constitute a classic case of conversion (and forgive me if I misunderstood
your intent, Stevan), wrote:

> The Ebionites and the Jerusalem Church might have argued that he continued
> to try to destroy it: "Remember to shun [an] apostle or teacher or prophet
> who does not first accurately compare his preaching with [that of] James,
> who was called the brother of my Lord, and to whom was entrusted to
> administer the church of the Hebrews in Jerusalem... " (Homily xi ch 35).
> Paul himself of course often warned his own followers in like terms, one
> example being Gal 1:8

While I believe I understand you to imply that "The Ebionites and the
Jerusalem Church" conceived of Paul's conversion as a change of tactics
(that is, attacking the new cult from within rather than without), is it
appropriate to consider, without qualification, the Clementine Homilies (or
the Recognitions) as genuine productions of either of those movements?

Dave Hindley
DHindley AT compuserve.com