corpus-paul - RE: The pre-Galatians Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The pre-Galatians Paul
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:46:28 -0600

{Frank}
>My own ideas about Paul are that it is difficult and probably
misleading to think of Paul in terms of straight-line development.

{John}
>Yes. Paul does not grow his theology from first principles, but instead
develops theological solutions to the problems which arise in the course
of his ministry.

{Bill}
I'm going to abandon this list now because the underlying assumptions of
most of the discussions on this list are so humanistic that it does not
promote understanding. If we see Paul as "growing his theology" by
"ad-libbing" instead of having received it by revelation from God, we will
neither understand, nor be benefited. At least, I have no interest in such
mental exercises. I believe that Paul was an apostle of Jesus Christ and
wrote the Word of God:

1 Thess 2:
13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye
received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the
word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually
worketh also in you that believe.

This is like discussing the wonders of creation with an evolutionist! The
whole point is missed. God made the world - it didn't evolve. I don't want
to discuss the "evolution of Pauline theology." It is 100% consistent within
itself and with the Gospels.

Bill Ross

  • The pre-Galatians Paul, John C. Hurd, 04/02/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: The pre-Galatians Paul, Bill Ross, 04/02/1999