corpus-paul - Gal 1.11-12 (was Re: Paul and the Gospels)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Perry L. Stepp" <plstepp AT flash.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gal 1.11-12 (was Re: Paul and the Gospels)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:56:45 -0500

From: Bill Ross <wross AT farmerstel.com>

>I would think that Paul is trapped in the first stage oral tradition that
>eventually will find concrete expression in the context of each evangelist.

>Paul claimed (and I believe) that he did not receive his Gospel from men
but
>by direct revelation from God.

Gal 1.11-12 (the passage you point to in your post) is probably a good
passage to examine in this regard. Paul says that his message (EUAGGELION)
did not come from men nor was he taught it (OUTE EDIDAXQHN) but he received
it by revelation (DI APOKALUYEWS).

Are you suggesting that this means that Paul did not learn stories about
Jesus' life and teaching from any human source? As I read Gal 1.11-12 in
context, I don't think that's what he's saying, his claim to unique
authority has more to do with questions of Gentiles and Jews and Law and
such.

Further, I find it hard to believe that Paul, having encountered Jesus in
such a powerful way at his conversion, wouldn't have wanted to hear
everything he could about Jesus' life and teaching from Jesus' followers.

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
DCC's webpage: http://come.to/DeSotoCC
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in
ignorance when the need for illusion is great.
--Saul Bellow

  • Gal 1.11-12 (was Re: Paul and the Gospels), Perry L. Stepp, 04/01/1999