corpus-paul - Undisputed Pauline letters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Undisputed Pauline letters
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:20:48 -0400

Was just looking through Bob Kraft's comments about disputed / undisputed Pauline letters.  I really am unaware that anybody currently disputes the Pauline authorship of 1 Thessalonians, Philippians, or Philemon.  There are those who want to make 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16 an interpolation, and there are a number of proposals about the partitioning of Philippians (recently very clearly recounted by Raymond Brown in his Introduction to the NT).  If memory serves me correctly, Baur's suggestion that 1 Thessalonians was inauthentic was answered (I would even say refuted) in the Tübingen School by Richard Adelbert Lipsius.  There have been a number of people who want to reverse the sequence of 1 and 2 Thessalonians, starting with Hugo Grotius in the 1620s and including Johannes Weiss and most recently Charles Wanamaker in his NIGTC commentary.  But who other than Baur ever suggested that 1 Thessalonians was pseudonymous?

All best wishes,
Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados, West Indies

  • Undisputed Pauline letters, Frank W. Hughes, 04/01/1999