compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] chromas

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Perry Clutts" <addy AT dragonbbs.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Dave Robison" <drobison AT teleport.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] chromas
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:04:48 -0400

> >Why would bd chromas be useful/appropriate for Ingham-style tea?

Chromas can be useful with only a little information about interpretation.
You should not come up with a blob, but a distinct picture of
what has happened in your compost, soil or I imagine compost tea. I've never
done chromas on tea, but would like to hear how those of you that have, did
it.

On interpretation, there should be 3 separate zones. Central, mid and outer.
The center should be white showing that systems (fungal and bacterial) are
working together. The mid-zone shows fungal activity (should be in the form
of 3-dimentional feathery "Christmas tree" like lines) and the outer area
shows bacterial activity (in the form of spikes). The spikes in the
bacterial zone should be of different sizes showing diversity of species...
many spikes, all the same would indicate little diversity of the population.
Desirable colors are green, brown, orange and yellow. Undesirable colors are
gray, blue, black and purple. A solid line around the outside zone indicates
that many "un-tied up" nutrients are still available. Purple color in the
mid zone shows immature compost... etc.

There are 2 photos on this page that are clear the difference even if you do
not have great technique...
http://www.kreisels.com/ittm/medicinalPlant/BiodynamicResearchProject.htm

I don't think that chromas are something that one can run in to do a quick
test, but could be useful for future brewing. Just as sending a sample to
SFI is a way to understand how future batches will brew.

Perry

> I don't think it would be useful. Thank you, Will, for the interesting
background.>