compostteas - Re: Fertigation and Compost Tea (resend) WAS Re: Subject: [Compostteas] CT application

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Allan Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fertigation and Compost Tea (resend) WAS Re: Subject: [Compostteas] CT application
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:30:32 -0400

Hi Allan,

I have done a bit more looking around. Some people are running compost tea
through drip systems. The necessary pre-filtering almost certainly nails
alot of the fungal population which is needed in the root zone, although a
fair amount of bacteria, and helpful substances like humic and fulvic
substances, probably make it through.

One fellow suggested adding the compost tea before the sand filter!

To that, I can only say, why go to all the bother of making tea if you are
losing a lot of the value in the delivery? Just add humic and fulvic
substances directly, and save the tea for a more open bore delivery
method.....

By the way, we are having good luck spraying the last few gallons of our
batches by using these simple boom sprayers on the little 25 gallon Agri-Fab
trailer sprayer we use. We strain it through one layer of paint filter bag,
take off the intake nozzle screen, and just motor through the orchard.

This doesn't give us the height of the Tower of Microbial Power, but doesn't
clog at all even with lots of particulate matter in the system. We did take
the strainers out of the back boom section.

I think it would be best to apply whole tea to the extent you are able to do
it. We can fill a 55 gallon drum with unstrained tea using a sump pump, and
could easily hook up a garden hose to that. It tows well in a simple lawn
tractor dump cart.

Better all the organisms once in a while, than only a small percentage on
drip, would be my guess.

Frank Teuton