compostteas - Re: Fertigation and Compost Tea (resend) WAS Re: Subject: [Compostteas] CT application

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Allan Balliett" <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: Re: Fertigation and Compost Tea (resend) WAS Re: Subject: [Compostteas] CT application
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:16:15 -0400

Allan,

All our experience spraying compost tea so far cries out against the
possibility of using a fine opening membrane tape or other small opening
system to fertigate with compost tea.

My partner ran whey through his drip irrigation system a few years back and
did a real number on it.

Here is a quote from the t-tape website:

"Good water maintenance is essential when using any drip irrigation product
due to the fact that all drip products are comprised of tiny chambers that
are susceptible to clogging.

19. Will the T-Tape plug?

Any drip irrigation product will plug if the water source is not filtered or
if the product is not flushed regularly or if a maintenance program is not
adopted.

20. How do I maintain the drip system to prevent plugging?

Periodic flushing of the filters, underground pipelines, and tape laterals
will help prevent potential problems associated with emitter plugging. A
maintenance program consisting of acid and chlorine treatments throughout
the season will keep the tape laterals clear of contaminants"

I can't imagine running tea through such a system deliberately except as an
act of self-destruction.

Frank Teuton