compostteas - [Compostteas] tea recipe questions

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jennifer Wallenfels" <jennifer AT nventure.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] tea recipe questions
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:46:54 -0700

I got my Compost Tea Brewing Manual last week, and I am loving the recipes!
Most are very intuitive, but I do have a couple questions. Perhaps Elaine,
or someone else who understands these, would be kind enough to explain the
concepts behind these two recipes.

1. The "Equal Ratio" tea recipe says to use 1/2 bacterial, 1/2 fungal
compost. Okay, that makes perfect sense. But what confuses me is you only
feed the fungi (except maybe a little fruit pulp). Why is this? Will the
bacteria tend to dominate the tea, if you feed them? Do they live on the
nutrients in the compost, and/or eat some of the fungal food?

2. Similarly - in the "Mycorrhizal Inoculum, Fungal Tea", it calls for only
fungal compost, but then has molasses in the recipe. Now I know there are
some bacteria in that fungal-dominated compost, but it made me wonder why
you choose to feed them in this recipe. Do the bacteria benefit the
mycorrhizal innoculation process? How much bacteria do you end up with in
this tea, versus the "Equal Ratios?"

I know these recipes are just meant as starting points, but I want to
understand the concept behind these two - so if I want to "play" with them,
I will know what variables to change.

Thanks!
Jenn

  • [Compostteas] tea recipe questions, Jennifer Wallenfels, 06/12/2002