community_studios - [Community_studios] ideas

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Jeff Shippen <jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com>
  • To: Community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Community_studios] ideas
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:31:02 -0800

I have an idea that have popped into mind over the past few days. Here's an idea that can help make Open Studios explode into action, but first a flashback: I mentioned to you, Tom Poe, that I have a guitar. I am still barely learning it, but you mentioned that I should submit a few chords through creative commons. After concentrating on that thought and still not having picked up the guitar since we last talked (about a month ago) here's what I've thought up.

Open Studios should build a reputation focusing on, but not limited to, smaller things than music, like photography and poems. Everyone can take photographs and write poems or stories. On top of that, photos and stories are very efficient for our purpose of replenishing the Public Domain / Creative Commons Domain.

How many people do you know own a musical instrument and create their own recordings with it? Now weigh that figure against the people you know who own cameras. Each time a photo is taken, a copyright is made, not many people know that.

Also, when people think of playing an instrument, they think of the possibility of making money off playing, weather solo or in a band. Compare that to photographs... When people take photos, they don't think of themselves photographers, they just want to have fun and capture the moment. They take pictures of anything there is, the artistic side of owning a camera flows naturally. These people are candidates of Open Studios

Then compare the knowledge required to produce a photo and to produce an audio recording. Then compare the computer file sizes of an image vs. audio.

We should also focus on poems and stories at the same time. Students are practically forced to create poems and stories for school assignments. They are not poets or anything, they are just doing it because. They do not see themselves making money off these creations, along with many others out there. They are candidates of Open Studios.

The night I met you, Tom, instead of asking if I had any music I could submit through Creative Commons or Public Domain, you should have focused on that these small (yet very big to us) things by asking me personally, "do you have any photos, stories, or poems that could be submitted through CC/PD?" I could have answered yes in a heartbeat.

You also mentioned that you have unlimited free web space you need to host these intellectual works that are part of CC/PD. If we can get a nice size collection of photos, poems, and stories, people will advertise their work being on the web. They will do this advertising via word of mouth, which is the most effective type of advertising. People will learn about CC/PD/Open Studios by having an interest in these works.

This will get some water in our new pond of reasonably licensed material. The filling of this pond will perpetuate quicker when photos and poems are in it. Artists can then fish from this pool to make new creations from existing ones. For example, a musical artists my like a photograph and get permission to use it as their CD's cover art. The musicians can browse the poems and stories, getting ideas for lyrics.

Jeff Shippen