community_studios - [Community_studios] RE: copyright amicus brief announcement comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Malla Pollack <mpollack AT uidaho.edu>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] RE: copyright amicus brief announcement comment
  • Date: 24 Jan 2005 19:06:54 -0800

If one, for the sake of discussion, declares that P2P networks are but
one more distribution channel, and it is agreed that copyright is
granted for limited times (and not because of any underlying common law
right), then doesn't it just make sense for Congress to legislate a
requirement that all works published on the P2P networks inform
recipients of the terms of the copyright? That's what we did with
books, right? We're hoping that we can convince those Independent
Artists that participate with Open Studios, to consider creating
individualized P2P networks as a part of their Internet marketing
strategy. One prototype of that thinking lies with www.gnomoradio.org.
It would be a lot easier, if the Courts would inject some common sense
into their deliberations and rulings. Just a thought.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/