community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Newsletter Issue #9: September, 2004

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "Francis Brock" <francis AT brockworks.com>
  • To: "tom poe" <tompoe AT amihost.com>, "Community Studios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Newsletter Issue #9: September, 2004
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:34:52 -0400

Hi Tom,

Some questions and suggestions concerning the newsletter.
(I haven't check and some of this may be available on line)

I'm interested in knowing if we have published guidelines for the
newsletter. Who has editorial responsibility for content accuracy and
length? I think that there should be a direct statement of editorial content
when it's specifically an opinion or point of view. (OpEd)

By publishing guidelines for the newsletter, potential contributors will
know, in advance, the preferred format and other requirements expected and
that content may be changed (if indeed it may be) for grammar, spelling,
length. A deadline should be established to make it into an issue of the
newsletter. The newsletter should be published on the same day (relative)
every - week, month? Which ever makes sense.

It may be argued that it's to early to impose that kind of editorial
structure to the newsletter except that having those things spelled out will
lend creditability to the information and opinions expressed.

Articles of a technical or research nature should include facts and
references.
I think having articles that illuminate the missions topics and educate and
enlighten subscribers about the issues surrounding community based
recording, the copyright laws, open source, artists rights, etc. Can have a
strong impact.
Letters to the editor should allow the free expression of points of view.
The newsletter should be available on line, also. Articles should be
printable.

I'm certainly interested in writing but I'd like to get a feel for it,
first. I may be able to pick up a technical article or two. I might have an
impassioned statement with an opinion to express. Although, I may be
preaching to the choir.

What kind of readership/subscriber base do we have? How strong a membership?

Peace and Music,

Francis