community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] idea for fund-raising

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: "proclus AT gnu-darwin.org" <proclus AT gnu-darwin.org>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] idea for fund-raising
  • Date: 23 Aug 2004 10:08:49 -0700

Hi, Proclus: Terrific! We are honored and proud that you have signed
on as Chief Mentor. If we can flesh out the project, and you and others
still like the idea, we'll formalize it into a project much like SONG
STORM has become.

>From what I've understood so far, licensing with the Creative Commons
Project is an administrative thing. Tagging ID files to songs is a
technical thing. Uploading song files to www.archive.org is a technical
thing/administrative thing.

Anatoly has a license option called, Authoright. We'll discuss with him
how best to apply his license option for the project.

I think those two approaches should be our initial focus to start.

I would need input as to what file extensions we should focus on to
start with, as I think there are different requirements for tagging each
file extension, as well as different tools for tagging the files.

Backing up to the beginning, though, let's decide how we want to
proceed. SONG STORM has a Forum at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/phpbb/phpBB2/
If we start a thread there, and following the initial post/reply step,
those who want to participate or follow along, can do so, as the thread
is emailed if one clicks the alertme box when they post a message. How
does that sound? My thinking is, the project doesn't require secrecy,
and musicians and artists might find it useful for documentation
purposes down the road.

We've got lots of time, so don't feel pressured to steal time from your
other responsibilities. We'll use the first few weeks to organize our
thoughts and try to all get on the same page. Once the system begins to
take shape, we can decide whether it requires investment in equipment.
For example, I am on a 56k modem hookup to my ISP. I suspect that might
be problematic if files need to be emailed back and forth and around. I
don't anticipate any need for a CD/RW or DVD/RW. Do you? If so, we'll
look for a volunteer to handle that aspect, if needed, I guess.

Tom