community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: More Digital Divide Whining

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "Larry Press" <lpress AT csudh.edu>
  • To: "tom poe" <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: More Digital Divide Whining
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:01:35 -0700

> The remote hookup is through telephone
> lines (something like 20kbps?

The remote connectivity is via Tenet's Cordect wireless link -- the sort of
backhaul I am advocating in that article.

> this ever-widening Digital Divide, and not one hoot is being uttered
> about getting the computers over to those that would use them; which

Do you think you are the first one to advocate this? Read some of my
articles and many others from the early 1990s on.

> remark is directed squarely at the World Bank, I might mention.

The WB has funded many computers for labs, kiosks, schools, etc. in
developing nations.

You need to learn more about what others have done.

> It's a nice gravy train for the Academics,

Do you think we would be having this conversation or that the open-source
software community or Tenet would exist if it were not for the Internet? Do
you think we would have the Internet if the American Taxpayer had not built
CSNet and NSFNet?

Your enthusiasm is admirable, but your lack of knowledge of what others have
done for you and others is not.