community_studios - [Community_studios] More Digital Divide Whining

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Larry Press <lpress AT csudh.edu>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] More Digital Divide Whining
  • Date: 08 Aug 2004 07:30:37 -0700

Without an infrastructure in place, here's what could be happening in
every developing nation, today. So, it begs the question, why not put
the computers over in those countries so those folks in developing
nations can get on about closing the Digital Divide? . . . I'll give you
three guesses, and the first two don't count. Which then raises the
question as to why Dr. Press doesn't want to use such low cost
technology solutions for his dorms at school.

I'll stand by my position for a moment, and hope someone can explain.
Tom

http://www.rediff.com/money/2003/aug/01spec3.htm
IIT, Oops bring the world to village kids
Shobha Warrier in Chennai | August 01, 2003
"The big moment finally came when the Oops I see team was asked to hold
a demonstration of their product in front of an august audience at the
national conference on communication and computer networking held in
Bangalore.

The video conference went smoothly as the girl who was in charge of the
village kiosk successfully communicated with those present in Chennai.

Both Ayyar and Professor Jalihal admit that this particular
demonstration was the turning point and the technology soon received
wide acceptance.

Today, 150 villages use this technology on a daily basis and more than
500 villages would soon come into the loop.

"We are looking at the possibilities to improve the educational standard
of the village children. With Oops I see, all that the village classroom
needs is a PC, a Web cam and a dial-up connection. A qualified teacher
from a city can take classes for the children and that too, interactive
ones," Jalihal explained."

http://www.oops-india.com/
The beta version of Oops I see is available for free download on the
Internet at http://www.tenet.res.in/isee and http://isee.enmail.com