community_studios - [Community_studios] Gnomoradio.org update

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Jim Garrison <garrison AT case.edu>
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Gnomoradio.org update
  • Date: 04 Jun 2004 10:12:41 -0700

"Already, we have produced a stable music player that is capable of
reliable file transfers. It can recommend songs to a user based on
inferred and explicit listening preferences. A person using Gnomoradio
can easily view the license of a song, visit an artist's web site,
search for new music, and find information about purchasing an album
containing a given song. It is easily installable on Debian and Gentoo
GNU/Linux computers, and there is an experimental port to Mac OS 10.3."

Hi, Jim: What a wonderful paragraph description of gnomoradio. RMS
sent out an alert about MS making its' move to impose licensing from
their patent portfolio, most likely against Open Source. With the ease
of shifting to Linux distributions making such terrific progress, it's
now just a matter of incentive for the masses to consider such a move.
If there are products like gnomoradio.org producing applications that
cannot be obtained with MS, that incentive is enhanced. Hope you
continue your great work.

I am so impressed by the screenshot (
http://www.gnomoradio.org/screenshots/ ) that lays out what every music
player should have displayed for their playlists. An artist that takes
the time to get licensed, then joins gnomoradio.org's network, stands to
get their music out to listeners in exactly the way they want: a clearly
identifiable license icon, an easy way to get from the song to the
artist web site?, and an easy way to join the artist's Digital Age fan
club?.

What are the numbers running for participation right now? Maybe a
dozen? To build on this, let's see if we can entice some of the artists
on SONG STORM to join, and place one or more of their songs on
gnomoradio to try out the system.

How easy would it be to get at a general figure that is used to
represent the number of Linux OS users in the world? Is it somewhere in
the range of 100,000, or is it more like 1 million? Do you know?

That figure, whatever it is, represents the present market for
gnomoradio listeners.

In the meantime, I want you to know, SONG STORM is very pleased and
proud to list Tommy Magik, and I'll alert you when the draft listings
are up.
Tom Poe
SONG STORM
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/playlist.php
On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 13:15, Jim Garrison wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I haven't talked to you in a while, and I figured I would just check
> in. If you're still interested in promoting Gnomoradio this way, it
> would be great. Some how this email got lost in my pile of things, and
> I never responded.
>
> Also, if you still want our band on the site, it seems to be OK with
> everyone. Is there anything in particular that we should know about or
> that we would have to do? Otherwise, if it requires nothing on our
> part, we would be happy to be a part.
>
> Let me know how Open Studios is going. I'm working desperately to get a
> stable Gnomoradio client on Windows since I have been off for the
> summer. Have you had many artists choose to use CC licenses? If so, I
> can work out a system to crawl your site to produce Gnomoradio metadata
> so the burden is not on you. We have found that this usually works a
> lot better :)
>
> Jim
> http://www.tommymagik.com/
> http://gnomoradio.org/

  • [Community_studios] Gnomoradio.org update, tom poe, 06/04/2004