community_studios - [Community_studios] Recent Article in First Monday comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: "Edward J. Valauskas" <ejv AT uic.edu>, Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Gnomoradio <garrison AT case.edu>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Recent Article in First Monday comment
  • Date: 08 Jun 2004 16:25:05 -0700

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_6/svensson/
Pirates, Sharks and Moral Crusaders: societal controls in P2P networks
by Jorgen S. Svensson and Frank Bannister

This paper is a very nice look at what the issues are, from the
perspective of using the Internet to develop and enhance societal
controls surrounding copyright governance. I personally believe it is
an excellent supportive document for such projects as the
creativecommons.org and gnomoradio.org, archive.org, commoncontent.org,
sharedsongs.org, webjay.com, radioaid.com, and SONG STORM sites, among
others.

I especially liked what appears to be a well-referenced work by the
authors in support of gnomoradio.org:
"This means that governments and other interested parties might be
better served to try to involve these users in helping to fight such
problems. In cooperation with the developers of these programs — who
also have a stake in blocking some offensive materials — they could try
to make users more active and effective as agents of social control.
Solutions along these lines might include:
* making p2p users more aware of the seriousness of some normative
issues;
* making p2p behaviour more visible to p2p peers; and,
* equipping p2p users with more powers to sanction undesired behaviour
(e.g., more effective ways to ban users who spread certain materials)."

Notice that gnomoradio displays the CC-license icon on the app screen:
http://www.gnomoradio.org/screenshots/
I think this is one giant step forward, and addresses the authors'
second point, remarkably well.

This article certainly looks like it can provide some excellent guidance
as we move SONG STORM and Open Studios forward. What do you think?
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/