community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Re: [Fwd: Killing the Music - Washington Post Op Ed by Don Henley]

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Sally AT BluesProject.com
  • Cc: Indie Music <indie-music AT yahoogroups.com>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Re: [Fwd: Killing the Music - Washington Post Op Ed by Don Henley]
  • Date: 18 Feb 2004 08:41:48 -0800

Hi, Sally: Difficult to snip the nonrelevant parts of your message, as
it is all so interesting.

One way to drive policy development is, as you say, to work with
Washington. Another way is to go to the streets. If independent
artists can collectively state what their business strategy is, the
public can see it, and respond. When the public responds, the lawmakers
listen. This is easily accomplished once a workable strategy is
identified. One fellow did a nice job, back in 2000, but the battle cry
wasn't taken up. I'll forward what he said in a separate email.

Interestingly, he points out that the Digital Age wipes out the old
business models, and in their place is something extraordinary, i.e.,
marketing with the Internet pretty much wipes out the need for record
labels and the RIAA/ASCAP/BMI folks who perform services that require
huge investment dollars.

We have an infrastructure already in place that serves independent
artists, and eliminates the need for major record labels, the RIAA and
the rest of them. In their place are tools and support services around
the world, along with the advantages of Fan Clubs on the Internet. The
only thing needed, is to convince governors of each state that it is in
their best interest to support this infrastructure. So, we talk
dollars, jobs, and revenues in state coffers. Interested?
Tom