community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [Fwd: Killing the Music - Washington Post Op Ed by Don Henley]

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: New Orleans Blues Project <bluesprjct AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Indie Music <indie-music AT yahoogroups.com>, Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [Fwd: Killing the Music - Washington Post Op Ed by Don Henley]
  • Date: 17 Feb 2004 19:58:13 -0800

I'll try not to offend anyone, but there's something wrong with the
logic Don offers.

He sincerely believes the fight for independent artists lies within the
legislature and the court system. Why? He doesn't give a reason, just
circles around with the old cow in the pasture, therefore all cows . .
. well, you know.

The Grateful Dead, what might have happened, had they also had the
Internet? They gave away their music, encouraged the sharing of their
music, and made huge revenues off concerts, tours, merchandising. Has
anyone explored the possibilities for recording merchandise these days?
Absolutely mind-boggling, the possibilities.

How much does an artist expect to make off music on the Internet? Do
they really expect to make vast fortunes? Does anyone believe a single
artist can make even a decent living off charging for every listener
every time that listener wants to hear the music? The major record
labels do, but they also agree that viewers of tv shows are obligated to
watch the commercials. Literally, or the viewers are violating the Big
Media's contract. How on earth can any independent artist think that
mind-set is going to hold for the music business, let alone Big Media?

Put songs for sharing on the Internet. Offer CD's for sale. Start Fan
Clubs, and empower them to monitor for abuse of your performance rights,
and do your thing. Use Internet stations, web sites like SONG STORM,
gnomoradio, archive.org, commoncontent.org. Why wait for Don to futz
around with corrupt legislators and corrupt, inept judges. Get up and
move, put on those marketing caps, get help with ideas by discussing
this topic, and provide Don some ammunition when he does go into
Washington.

Peter, Paul & Mary, well-known, right? Placed the "Wedding Song" in the
Public Domain. Recently, they report over $2 million in donations.
Phish, or whatever their name is, reports over $1 million in CD sales,
even though they're a regionally reputed band.

Independent artists that recognize the value of good quality music, the
performing arts, and the love of fans, will be successful, and they
don't need to wait for someone to show them the way. Just do it!
Tom