community_studios - [Community_studios] RE: Article of Interest?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Joy Pierce <redwooddreamer AT att.net>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Dan Burk <dburk AT mail.co.washoe.nv.us>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] RE: Article of Interest?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:34:20 -0800 (PST)

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 18:22, Burk, Dan wrote:
> > Where on earth do you get this stuff.
> > There is a line between being a constructive critic and a fear monger and
> > you have really passed it.
> > Get a life. The elections companies are not going to allow open source
> > coding for their systems.

I did not signed up to this list to participate in discussion about voting
issues and will try to avoid these further, but above remark about
"election companies" is astonishing. I just fail to understand the level
of self-humiliation, Mr. Burk reached. What? You give up your right to
vote to election companies? I can read, you did not say this directly, but
who is interested, what any company wants when it comes to a fundamental
right of the people of the United States of America? Or I am mistaken and
we live in a banana republic and have to bow to some companies when we
discuss election procedures and want to be sure our rights are kept? It is
astonishing.

> > Isn't it enough that you and your fellow
> > travelers got us to be the first state to require VVRs for every machine?
> > Now it has to be open source coding or the elections are wholly corrupted
> > too? Gimme a Break!

I would give you, Mr. Burk, a break to go and learn so that you will not
look so purely illiterate on some sensitive issues, namely: net/computer
related security, open source vs. proprietary software development, open
source and society in their interrelations, monopoly vs. free market
economy. I would also suggest some reading for your free time: 1984 by
Orwell and other books of the anti-utopia genre.

Thank you for you close attention to this matter,

Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com
http://www.culturedialogue.org