community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] theft prevention

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] theft prevention
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:47:35 -0000

Hi: thanks for the input, Ilya. We don't know what
des1gner AT optusnet.com.au has already tried, but here are a couple more
ideas to ponder:
1] First and foremost, with school administration firmly in support,
the students should be encouraged to seek out manufacturers of equipment
they want the school to have, and develop relationships that will keep a
steady flow of donated equipment and support. The students will then
have a stake in seeing that the equipment stays in the school.
2] Signs on the Wall - These are special signs. Since students
understand that school equipment that disappears will be replaced, then
the signs should make it clear in an innovative way, that the policy
regarding recording equipment is "No Replacement Here. Equipment
Disappears, Students Are Responsible For Replacing It." The students
will then have to go out and get donated equipment, if they want to
record.
3] Paint & ID the Equipment - Conspicuous is good. Then, set up a Kids
Court to try the "culprits" when they're caught. Who better than their
peers, right?
4] Library - A system for check out and return is a must, and should be
encouraged. Student involvement in setting parameters for use
off-campus should be used. This idea goes well with donated equipment,
rather than school-purchased equipment. If the kid gets mugged
off-campus, the manufacturer won't feel too abused in replacing what's
lost, eh?

Any more ideas out there? Hope you keep us posted on what you find,
works for you.
Happy Holidays,
Tom