community_studios - [Community_studios] webcasting question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: ibs AT ibsradio.org
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] webcasting question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:10:27 -0000

Hi: There should be no reason to pay any fees to SoundExchange or RIAA
or anyone else, if the music is released by the copyright holder to be
streamed over the Internet, right? As long as the copyright holder
waives rights to the song in a form that is explicit, and permits
streaming over the Internet, no fees should be required, right?

We intend to engage in webcasting over local access station with music
provided by independent artists using the Creative Commons licensing
agreements. Does that seem like a doable thing? In other words, there
should be no reason for legal complications if the music is not
copyrighted and owned by the RIAA or SoundExchange, right? Do you know
of anyone that is doing something like that? What I mean, is, do you
know of a webcasting station that does not pay fees to SoundExchange, or
the RIAA in order to webcast?
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/