community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: web streaming dmca question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: IBSHQ AT aol.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: web streaming dmca question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:46:25 -0000

Hi IBSHQ: What a marvelous email!!!

Here's what prompted me to ask the question on the list:
"High Sierra Community Radio (HSCR) has begun broadcasting on the SNCAT
Community Bulletin Board and is airing programs every week - including
programs devoted to Native American music, jazz, folk music, and
space/ambient music - and others are in the works, including news
programs and original radio theater programs. Another venue we are
preparing is Internet-based broadcasting. The website named
highsierracommunityradio.org has already been reserved. However, due to
the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act passed by
Congress in 1999, severe restrictions have been placed on the broadcast
of copyrighted materials, like music, on the Internet. We are addressing
these complex copyright issues, and within the next couple of months we
should have programming available for Internet streaming."
http://www.sncat.org/radio_index.htm

Now, what I will do, is prepare a letter with a proper solution, and
take it down there, and ask Don to pass it along for discussion. I will
send you a copy, as I want to coordinate this project with IBSHQ!!!

Also, I will immediately integrate IBSHQ into our work at Open Studios.
I believe we have a winner! The Creative Commons Project makes it so
easy to clarify the music status for songs played on webcasting
stations, free of copyright. The best part is, with the help of IBS,
and Creative Commons, there is no reason we shouldn't see an explosion
of webcasting stations hit the Internet right now! Love it!
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/