community_studios - [Community_studios] Phish band business model question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Phish band business model question
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:55:05 -0000

Hi: As I understand it, Phish band uses the Grateful Dead model of
encouraging recording and sharing of their performances. I visited
their site, www.phish.com, and saw they also are big time with signing
an Entertainment firm to coordinate business matters.

Olivier Travers provides a wealth of information at his site,
www.theendoffree.com and www.endoffree.com . Once in a while, there's
reference of particular relevance to music and copyright and the use of
the Internet for musicians and artists who want to bypass
Hollywood/RIAA/MPAA and make their own career decisions. The Phish
update was nice to see. I think it shows the public is more than
capable of "doing the right thing", especially when these guys talk
about revenue in the millions! Looks like they're moving into the
Digital Age just fine.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Phish band business model question, tom poe, 08/10/2003