community_studios - [Community_studios] e-vote issue comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: obrien2002 AT hotmail.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] e-vote issue comment
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:16:50 -0000

Hi, Sean: A fellow named, Tom Barger, is subscribed to mailing list:
community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/community_studios

He says you're into the e-vote issues, and might be interested in what
we're doing. I'm interested in what you're doing.

Open Studios encourages people to consider starting community-based
recording studios. These studios are much like community radio
stations, or community tv stations. The difference is, everything is
digital, which means, all a community has to do, to start, is get a
low-end PC, load it with the appropriate Open Source software, and a
microphone, maybe a digital camera, and go! The investment is almost
always available as only time and effort, with equipment easily donated.

The output of digital files, whether sound or video, is equal to, or
better than the analog station equipment. To make it easier, Open
Studios provides all support services for free, including 24x7 technical
support, so every community remains at state-of-the-art, without fees or
licensing issues.

Now, with your direct experience at KPFK, maybe you know about your
local access tv station? They should provide classes for people in the
community to learn how to make their own tv shows. If so, I wonder if
you might want to put the word out, and see if you can't get a bunch of
people to join in with what we're doing. We went down to the local
access tv station, discovered that here in Reno, if we show up with a
tape we made with our camcorder, they'll run it. Further, we found out
that they'll provide all of their equipment, and editing stuff, if we
want to do a series of shows. So, now we have access to Open Studios
setups, local access tv show setups, local access radio show setups.
Works out nice.

Next Saturday, we are going to meet and record skits about voting on DRE
machines. We're looking for ideas. By way of example, one skit will
deal with Nevada voter going in to vote and a mixup with slot machines!

That's the sort of skit ideas we're looking for. If your listeners come
up with others, please have them pass them along.

We also want as many communities as possible to make "The Right To Vote"
shows, either radio or tv or both, and then let everyone know, so the
others can share and run these shows all over the country. If you make
one, let me know, so I can order a copy for running here in Reno.

Hope you'll join our mailing list, and encourage your list members to do
the same. We actually encourage cross-posting, especially on the e-vote
issues, in order to get the dialogue going at the broadest audience
possible.

Also, don't hesitate to have your listeners begin to think about taking
advantage of community-based recording studios, and contacting us to
guide them through the steps. No reason there shouldn't be such
facilities in every neighborhood, rich or poor, especially HUD areas, or
low-income areas. They're great for nonprofit fund-raising campaign
resources, or for young musicians that want to create their own careers
outside of the Hollywood nonsense. Most important, is the opportunities
available to the disabled and disadvantaged who now can work with
digital files to read and write music, record CD's, and generate every
instrument electronically. Just tell the computer what to do, and out
pops full orchestrations to accompany stories, to make musical scores,
to enhance artistic creations in every medium.

Look forward to hearing from you soon. By the way, are you signed up
for your state's governatorial race election?
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] e-vote issue comment, tom poe, 08/10/2003