community_studios - [Community_studios] Time to update League of Women Voters Against Voter Verified Paper Ballots?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: jim_dickson AT earthlink.net
  • Cc: jan AT artbyjan.net, voterinformation AT lwv.org, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Time to update League of Women Voters Against Voter Verified Paper Ballots?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:54:51 -0000

Hi: Your paper entitled, "League of Women Voters Against Voter Verified
Paper Ballots" really needs to be updated, starting with changing
"Against" to "in favor of"
http://www.aapd.com/dvpmain/votemachines/drevotemachine.html

You made one statement that, I believe, makes the title of your paper
incorrect. You state that the League of Women Voters believes there
"# at the appropriate level of government obtain a copy of the source
code that operates the machines; "

This requirement does NOT exist, and never will. It is impossible to
obtain at any level, a copy of the source code. Even if you take the
suckers to court, you will never win the right to view the source code.

Such a circumstance negates all the rest of your requirements, as it
then means that no matter what is done, the final results of voters
using DRE machines will be in the control of the vendor. Further, since
the number of vendors are less than six, nationwide, our next
presidential election will be under total control of a handful of
individuals, and you and I will never be able to detect fraud on DRE
machines. EVER! I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, although
they are soooo gossipy, and I love gossip, but this situation goes way
beyond reason. Why would anyone think this is a good idea in our
country? Or, in any country where the League of Women Voters exists to
fight for the rights of women, the disabled, the disadvantaged?

So, to be fair to your members, and others who read the League of Women
Voters' paper you're displaying on your site, either you need to change
the title, or you need to change your requirements to fit the facts.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Time to update League of Women Voters Against Voter Verified Paper Ballots?, tom poe, 08/10/2003