community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: copyright confusion comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Hamilton02 AT aol.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: copyright confusion comment
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:36:36 -0000

Hi, Marci: You asked if I could provide one period of history where a
free commons existed, and lasted, and fostered great art. I don't
believe there was one, though I could be mistaken. Now, let me ask you
to name one period of history where copyright existed, lasted, and
fostered great art? Are there two?

Keeping in mind that the monopoly grant to individuals by the framers of
our country permitted authors and inventors to enjoy exclusivity for
their works for most of their expected lifetimes [~36 years at that
time, I believe], continued to be the "norm" until the 1960's, at which
time, we moved away from, and towards a far different purpose for
granting monopolies to individual creativity, as you well know.

If we view history as you suggest, starting from the early renaissance
period where artists relied upon patronage to pursue their interests, to
a point at which the United States empowered the individual with a means
to earn income from their creativity, to today, where the individual no
longer needs a monopoly to earn income from their creativity, then what
is the purpose of continuing to grant monopolies for what appears to be
perpetuity? A free commons represents the ideal manifestation of what
we teach our children in kindergarten. "Don't touch Jonny's truck while
he's playing with it." A free commons permits individual authors and
creators to share ideas, not share "things". In a free commons,
intellectual property has no meaning. Ideas are freely shared and
encouraged. Creations and works are respected. One example that stands
out, is Peter, Paul and Mary's song, "The Wedding Song". Dedicated to
the Public Domain, yet, if you visit their web site, they report
receiving over $2 million USD thus far from what I call, the free
commons.

Now, maybe I need to go spend some time with your writings:
http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/ip_program/hamilton.htm

Open Studios is all about encouraging and promoting community-based
recording studios. We have local access television as one model
championed by government, and, hopefully, our government will recognize
the value of championing community-based recording studios as well.
Between the two infrastructural components, we should see projects like
Internet2 become accessible to all the citizens throughout the world
that might contribute to a civil society. The interesting thing about
community-based recording studios, is that they don't necessarily
require out-of-pocket money to build, thanks to Open Source projects
like Stanford's CCRMA, and the universities and research centres in
Europe that are working on the AGNULA project. Not quite utopian
thinkgroup, but close.

The point I want to make, and that you might not be aware of, is that if
a state governor were to encourage every community in her state to build
and operate a community-based recording studio, and if every community
produced just 10 CD's that 100 people purchased/donated just $10, and
there were 10,000 communities in the state, how much income would be
realized on an annual basis? Plug in your state numbers, and see what
comes up. Now, consider how many nonprofit organizations in each
community will produce CD's, DVD's, and generate fund-raising campaigns
if they have free recording services available through community-based
recording studios? You see, Marci, sometimes utopian groupthink has a
practical application, if not in history, certainly in the Digital Age.
:)
Exciting, isn't it?
Open Studios
Reno, NV