community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: copyright confusion comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Hamilton02 AT aol.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: copyright confusion comment
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:58:23 -0000

Marci! Goodness!

Olu, a poor songwriter from Accra, Ghana, West Africa, will be most
disappointed to learn of your inevitability proclamation.
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/olu.html

He, and an equally poor songwriter from Reno, Nevada, USA, were, even in
their economically stressed condition, able to take advantage of the
computer, and collaborate to create a song, Miles Upon Miles Away:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/music/miles.ogg

What you're saying, is, in the final analysis, any success they might
enjoy as a result of this creative effort is doomed, is futile, in the
face of the all-powerful industries and governments that will, if they
have to, bring the full force of their abuse of technology to crush
creativity by claiming that some notes or lyrics in the song belong to
others [i.e., sue these two poor souls into oblivion], so why bother?

Nah! Maybe I'll stick with the utopian groupthink crowd for a while.
Whatever label you put on your position doesn't seem plausible,
especially since the example, Gutenburg Press, was in response to a
similar thinking [your position on inevitability] by religious rulers
and governments. History is on our side! Long live history! :)
Tom