community_studios - [Community_studios] Need help from the expert

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "beSpacific.com" <bespacific AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Need help from the expert
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:57:41 -0800

Hi, Sabrina: Here's my question.

What search terms would you use to learn more about copyright terms? Specifically, I'm interested in finding out who might have thought about copyright terms in a relative sense to the "life expectancy" consideration for those who lived in the 1790's. The life expectancy span at that time, was something in the range of 36 years. Noting that, then, it might seem logical to attach a related term of "lifetime" to the then, 14 year copyright plus renewal, which took it to 28 years. This would coincide with an accepted philosophy of granting copyright for the life of the creator, even in the 1790's.

If this argument were put forth, and it was with merit, then the discussion over copyright would take on a different flavor, at least for me. But, so far, I haven't seen much discussion on this with the searches I have done, or the readings I have been exposed to. Are you able to offer any suggestions? My interest is in trying to move the discussion away from fighting with corporate idiots, and moving on to solutions [such as Open Studios/Creative Commons, hint, hint].
Open Studios
Reno, NV
--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
"There is no Public Domain unless we do it ourselves"