community_studios - [Community_studios] Hollings Alert from EFF . . . .

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: dmcA_discuss AT lists.microshaft.org, community_studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cluetrain AT topica.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Hollings Alert from EFF . . . .
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:13:50 -0700

Hi: Well, looks like the boys and girls at the DRM meeting panicked!

I'll bet 'ya that the activist turnout at the DRM meeting on Wednesday, was responsible for this. What do you think? I really wonder if Hollings hasn't gone over the other line, you know, the one that qualifies for immediate rubber-room entry. If I'm a Senator or Congress Rep, I'm wondering why I wasn't asked about this. This is as bad as the "secret whitehouse" justification.
Thanks,
tom
--
http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/
Hollings: Broadcast flag now, by FCC mandate

EFF was advised that Sen. Ernest Hollings has written a letter to the FCC advocating immediate implementation of a broadcast flag mandate -- even without additional legislation. Hollings apparently claimed that the FCC already has, under existing statutes, the authority necessary to require that all manufacturers comply with BPDG rules.

We hope to have the text of the letter available soon.

Sen. Hollings is also the author of the "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act" (CBDTPA) -- often ridiculed as "Consume, But Don't Try Programming Anything". (EFF takes Disney and other entertainment companies to task for their support of such legislation.)
Posted by Seth Schoen at 05:10 PM
--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

  • [Community_studios] Hollings Alert from EFF . . . ., tom poe, 07/21/2002